Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Code Red 2: Life Sentence ~ Chapter 4

Mika’s Note: Yeah, so I was gone for more than a few days.  Sorry. LOL

Coming Clean

The plate of food sat on the table in front of her, untouched. She hadn’t eaten all day and yet, she couldn’t bring herself to eat this, either. Her stomach was in knots.

“Ali?” her brother asked concerned, “Are you okay?”

She shook her head. “No, not really.”

“You’ve been acting weird all week, wanna talk about it?”

She frowned. “Not really, but I suppose I should.” She picked up a tortilla chip and sighed. Crunching on the cheese and sour cream covered bit of chip, she chewed and thought how to break the news to her brother. “I’ve been ordered to break off my relationship with Blake.”

“What?” The shrill response startled both Ali and Albert.

“Hey Shana,” Albie called out once his heart had started beating again.

“Geez, you scared me.”

“Well, you just scared me too, chickie,” the redhead informed her, plopping down next to her and reaching for her roommate’s nachos. “I thought you just said you were dumping Mr.. HotStuff Cowboy.”

Ali sighed again. “I have to.”

“What the fuck for?” Albert. Never one to mince words.

“No choice. Stone’s afraid that his um, fame will blow my cover and thus ruin every possible future mission.”

“And thus dooming the free world to a fate worse than death,” Shana finished for her, quoting one of their general’s favorite scenarios.

“Something like that,” she mumbled. “More like ruining any chance I had to be happy for a change, that’s for sure.”

Taking her hand, Albie gave it a squeeze. “Have you talked to him yet?”

She shook her head. “Not yet, I don’t even know what to tell him.”

“How about your C.O. is a dumbass?” Shana looked at her two friends and their frowns. “What? Works for me.”

A smile quirked up one half of Ali’s mouth. “Works for me too, but I doubt Blake will accept that.”

“So, what then?”

“I don’t know, Red, but I do know it won’t be easy. He and Leslie had a big row after the awards show. She admitted to her infidelities and he walked away. I don’t know what to say that’s not going to make him feel just as betrayed.”

“Try him, sis,” Albie assured her. “You might be surprised.”

She shrugged. It was possible, although she wasn’t ready to admit it. The possibility that Blake might go along with the dissolution of their almost-relationship hurt more than the idea she had to give him up. After all, didn’t that mean the relationship was that easy to let go of? “Maybe,” she admitted.

“I think that, for once, Albie might be right, Ali.” She squeezed her friend’s arm, wishing there was more she could do. “Hopefully he’ll at least understand, even if he doesn’t like it.”

Ali nodded, fighting back the sudden onslaught of tears forming behind her eyes. What the hell was wrong with her these days? Ever since her last visit with Blake, she’d become more and more prone to tears. And she never cried. Never. “Doesn’t look like I have much choice, wish me luck.”

“Luck,” they chimed in unison.

“Thanks, and I better get going. Lots to do and more piling up all the time.” She shrugged, trying to act unconcerned and failing miserably. “I think Bryan is bound and determined to keep me buried under a mountain of paperwork until I agree to date him again.”

“God help us all,” Shana replied, watching her best friend walk away.

“Amen,” Ali called back over her shoulder. “See you at home later.”

“I’ll have the tequila ready!” she shouted encouragingly. As soon as Ali had disappeared from sight, she caught Albert’s gaze. “Is she really okay?”

He looked from where his sister had disappeared over to the redhead sharing the table. “I think so. I know she’s upset, but she’s not one to dump her feelings on anyone, you know.”

“Yeah, I know, but she’s been acting oddly. And she’s pale. And not sleeping. I’m worried.”

Sighing, Albie took Shana’s hand and gave it a quick squeeze. “She’s in pain. She’s been alone way too long and now she’s having to give up the one thing that’s making her happy. Give her some time, okay?”

Shana nodded. “Okay. Thanks.”

“Anytime.”

No comments: