Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Trouble with Trees

Mika's Note: WOW!  Less than 400 words!  Whoda ever thunk it, coming from me?  Idea was spurred by something someone said.

As strange as it may sound, a tree kept me in the bar all night. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, right? But not so. You see, my ex is a freak. He can’t seem to let go and annoys me to no end on a daily basis. And my doctor wonders why I suffer from anxiety. I swear, really.

So, when he caught me out last night, he just had to approach me and get in my face. I hate that more than anything and I just so wasn’t in the mood to deal with his crap. So, when he started in with his ‘don’t you love me anymore’ and ‘why can’t we work it out’ junk, I just leaned over and kissed my new friend. Long and hard.

And she kissed me back.

Needless to say, he freaked even more than usual. Serves him right, but I digress. He ranted, he raved, and then he went out into the parking lot and pulled a chainsaw out of the trunk of his sedan. See, I told you he was a freak. He then took said chainsaw and hacked at the tree I parked underneath that evening. Dumb move, I’m now thinking.

It took three hours for the rescue team to remove the tree from my poor little Miata. Then it took another hour for the insurance adjuster to arrive, pissed at being drug out of bed at so late an hour. Police, hangers-on, and drunks surrounded me. Well, us, I suppose. Lorie stayed by my side as they hauled Karl away, screaming that he’d get me, some day, eventually. She also stayed through the insurance guy yelling at me and the two cute rescue workers declining any payment once they’d heard the full story.

Interesting the evening, to say the least.

Now, I’m not the type to go for a one night stand, least of all with another woman. But hey, anymore, I’m up to just about anything. So, Lorie’s at the door, waving to indicate the tree is now off my car and we’re clear to go.

Apparently our friendly neighborhood tree boys are following us home.

Curiouser and curioser.

But heck… after the night from hell… who am I to complain?

And see, it really was the trees fault I never made it home… at all… last week.

1 comment:

Robin S. said...

400 words - very fun words! Loved it - short, funny and engaging!!