Monday, September 15, 2008

Dakotah: Chapter 7

Mika's Note: The 'wrap-up'.  *G*  Short, and could have been included with Chapter 6 now that I think of it.  *sigh*  Whatever.

"So what did she hit?" Tyler asked, curiosity rising to the surface now that the threat had vanished. Dakotah had just finished explaining the night’s events to an astounded, but much relieved, Sierra.

"I'd blessed and consecrated his pendulum specifically to meet his needs. I put protection from evil spells and such on it. Never thought that he,” she motioned to the man beside her, “would need it, not knowing what he was. But, I guess it worked!" she laughed giddily at the thought of something going so right. “For once being overly cautious paid off for me.”

"Yeah, you're one mighty powerful little witch! I ain't gonna mess with you!" Tyler teased Sierra, thankful she was going to be okay. He’d become quite attached to her over the time she and Dakotah had been a couple. Losing her tonight had never been an option. For either of them.

Dakotah noticed her absently rubbing her wrists. "Are you okay? I wish we could've gotten to you sooner. I couldn't get through all those protections you'd put on yourself.” He held her tightly and kissed the top of her head. Now is no time for scolding, demon.

"Sierra, if you'd put up shields to protect you from him, why didn't they protect you from her?" In all the years he’d been alive, Tyler had never tangled with a witch, not a real one anyway. Having been a scholar in a previous live, his quest for answers never ceased.

"I... I don't know. I think she may have broken them somehow. I felt this strange tingling when I was going to change my clothes. I wonder if that's when it happened?" She tried to shrug it off, but the creepy memory remained.

"It probably was. She was born during the height of magic users, back before Christianity was the norm. Melinda was at one time a very powerful witch, and at a time when the rules against harming others were much less strictly enforced.” He sighed, not wanting to think on it, unable to do anything but. “Now, she's just a mean, bitter old vampire." Dakotah pulled the fiery redhead even closer. "But don't let that lull you into security. I have no doubt she could pull out some tricks that'd make us all turn and run." And I think we may discover just how powerful she’s become.

"I won't ever let my guard down. Not now or ever. I'm just sorry I couldn't trust you. You hadn't hurt me, after all." She pressed her back against his chest, searching for the elusive feeling of safety.

"That's not the point. I could have hurt you very easily. I'm just glad it didn't come to that. You were wise to just give in, no matter how wrong." He blushed at the look Tyler was giving him. "Baby, I'm so sorry this happened. If there's anything I can do... let me know, okay?" His eyes met hers, touching his mind to hers. You know I will do anything you ask, from now on. I owe you that much.

"Well, if you're serious, you know what always makes me feel better..." she slyly suggested.

"No. Absolutely not." he said adamantly. "No." It was so un-vampire like and embarrassing. He couldn’t believe she would even ask. “Please no.”

“But, you said, you promised!” She pouted playfully, knowing she already had him. "Fine. If you don't love me enough..."

1 comment:

Robin Snodgrass said...

The way you dissipate the tension in those last few lines is great. A little humor often makes things a lot easier to deal with.