Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Can't Walk Away Chapter 6

I keep saying that I never meant to sleep with him and I think that I mean it. It was seven weeks after our first meeting and slowly but surely, every week he’d noted improvements in his relationship with his then girlfriend, Macy. Somehow, they’d defied the odds and patched things up. He’d started talking about asking her to move in.

My heart sank with every word.

As if to prove our friendship, he’d started frequenting the coffee bar I manned in the early mornings, despite not being a coffee drinker. I’d conned him into chocolate milk one morning and he’d returned every day after. It made me smile to think that he went through so much to see me, just for a few minutes, every day. Made my heart soar and then plunge when I remembered that he wasn’t free.

We met one Friday night, not long after he’d asked Macy to move in. When he’d arrived, he was angry, frustrated, and not the Jonas I’d come to know so well. I was on immediate high alert.

“What’s up, Jo?” I’d asked, afraid of the truth.

“Two weeks,” he growled. “Two freaking weeks!” He slammed his fist into the bar top, scaring both Bryan and I.

“What do you mean?” I gripped his wrist with my hand, hoping my touch would calm him some.

“We’ve been living together for two lousy weeks,” he spat, “and she cheated on me.”

Oh my. “What?” I was appalled; he was such a good, loyal man and she did this? In the entire time we’d been ‘seeing’ each other, he’d never done more than touch my hand. And that kiss? It had been the only one to date, and even then, it wasn’t anything a woman could get jealous over. “How did you find out?”

He blew out a noisy breath. “She told me. Can you believe that?”

“Maybe she regretted it and wanted it out in the open,” I suggested.

He shook his head. “No, no I don’t think that was her motive. I think she was trying to make it clear to me that she is the one in charge and that she can do what she wants when she wants.”

Double oh my. “Why would she go to such an extreme?” I was well and truly confused.

He shook his head sadly. “I’m not sure, but she sure made her point.” Jonas frowned and ordered a beer. I watched him drink it down faster than I ever had before. When he ordered another, I stepped in.

“Why don’t we go somewhere else? Get out of here before you have too many and do something stupid?” Please? I so didn’t want to be there when he did whatever it was.

Oooops. Too late.

He leaned over and kissed the corner of my mouth, the scent of his beer wafting up my nostrils. “Okay, what do you suggest?”

“A movie? There are theaters here at The Ranch.”

He shook his head. “I’m not much of a movie goer.”

Couldn’t fault him that one neither was I. “Me either, usually. So, what do you suggest?”

“Take me home with you.”

Oh freaking triple my.

And I did.

God help me, but I did. And I enjoyed it. I loved every minute of it, of him. Every freaking screaming multi-orgasmic minute of it.

And given the chance to have a do-over? I wouldn’t change a damn thing.

No comments: