Friday, August 15, 2008

I Can't Walk Away Chapter 11

Mika's Note: I think this chapter is safe. LOL

I couldn’t even begin to tell you how long I hid in the closet, but eventually my manager fished me out and let me cry on her a little while. After I’d (kinda sorta not) pulled myself together, she gave me the afternoon off. Grateful and yet unable to drive, I posted myself at one of the café tables outside until I felt steady enough to get behind the wheel.

I sat there for quite some time. Molly, my co-worker, even brought me my favorite – a nonfat double shot iced mocha latte – when she realized I hadn’t moved in over an hour. And a maple pecan scone.

At least I knew Molly loved me.

I was nursing my coffee after having scarfed down my scone when he approached. My first clue was the shadow that fell across my table, followed closely by a whiff of expensive cologne. “Morgan?” he asked.

I looked up, not really sure what to expect. I’d thought it was Jonas coming back for another round until I’d smelled him. Jonas’ cologne was spicy, musky where this newcomer’s was fresh and crisp. “Yeah?”

He smiled at me and I cringed inwardly. Innard-melting smiles like that had gotten me to where I was right now, and I so didn’t need another dose of heartache. I think he must’ve read my mind because he laughed suddenly and held out his hand.

“I’m Sherridan McCaskill,” he introduced himself.

And then the double-whammy of recognition hit me. “You were with them earlier, weren’t you?” He nodded and I flashed on the other half of my recollection. “And you’re Jonas’ brother, too.”

He nodded again and gave me a sheepish grin. “Although, after the scene earlier, I’m not sure if I’m willing to admit as much.”

I instantly felt bad. “You can’t totally blame him for what happened, I wasn’t exactly nice either.”

He motioned towards my bulging stomach. “I’m not sure you should have been.”

I shrugged. I knew I wasn’t innocent in all that had happed up to this point. “I’m to blame for this situation as much as he is,” I tried to defend.

Sherridan shrugged this time and I smiled a little. “Maybe. Maybe not. But in the end, he was the one in the relationship and he was the one to pursue you. And I know this because he made a point of telling me this.”

I stared at him in horror, wondering if there had ever been anything real in this relationship. “Wow,” was all I had the strength to say.

“I know it, honey. I kept hoping that, with the way he talked about you, that he’d eventually admit to having some kind of feelings for you. But, if he did, he never said.”

“And now it’s too late.”

My lover’s brother barked out a laugh that caught me off guard. “Oh, he’s not going to like that, especially not after Macy kicked him out.”

I choked on my mocha. “She what?”

“She kicked him out while on the phone with her lawyer. I don’t see the two of them making it to a third anniversary.”

“Oh holy crap,” I breathed. As much as I loved Jonas and as much as I wanted Macy out of the way, I’m not sure I ever wanted either of them to get hurt because of this. But I guess that’s the consequences of the choices you make. Would it be selfish to say that I’m relieved that I’m not the only one suffering now? It would? Oh bother.

“That’s putting it mildly, I think.” He laughed, a lighter, throatier version of his older brother’s. “But, I think there’s hope for the boy because he sent me back her to make sure you were okay.” I gave him a look. “Or, as okay as can be expected. Do you need a ride?”

I shook my head and stood, finally feeling steady enough to stand. “I think I will be okay, thanks. And thanks for coming, I think it really helped.”

“Anytime,” he assured me, standing as well. “May I at least walk you to wherever you’re going?”

“My truck,” I informed him, pointing to the battered old thing in the parking lot.

Sherridan nodded and took my arm, leading me to my trusty old Dodge. After reassuring himself that I wouldn’t run myself off the road or anything else sinister, he smiled, waved, and walked away.

“Why couldn’t I have hooked up with that brother?” I wondered aloud to no one in particular.

No comments: