Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Can't Walk Away Chapter 1

(Mika's Notes: Some potty mouth in this one and a big huge no-no)

I knew it was going to happen, sooner or later. It was only a matter of time. But then, she always did have the world’s worst timing.

He’d only just settled down beside me, pulling me into his arms and cuddling me against his chest. But of course that’d be the moment she needed him the most. Just when I finally had him to myself she decided that she wanted him too.

Phooey.

She should have tried to keep him before he left. But that’d be too easy, right? That means she would have had to pay some sort of attention to him, give him affection and listen. That’s always been too hard for her to do. Macy never wanted to do or give anything that didn’t deal directly with her.

And sometimes it makes me wonder if she knew. About me and her husband. If that was why her timing was always so bad. Because it sure as hell seemed like she knew he was somewhere he shouldn’t be, doing something bad. But oh, so good.

I sighed as he rolled away from me, muttering an apology I wasn’t sure he meant. It always ended up this way. But at least she had the courtesy to interrupt us before we got started this time.

“Hello?” Jonas answered his phone as if he hadn’t already read the caller ID. “Yeah? Nope.” Pause while he frowned into the dusk of the room. “I’ll be home in a couple hours. No, not sooner. You said you wanted some time to yourself.”

Damn. I hate the way she can guilt him so easily. He deserves so much better. Jonas is a good guy with a big heart. He’d do anything for anyone, even this woman he only feels obligated to. It makes me want to smack the crap out of her, but I know that I can’t. How unfair is that?

He snapped his phone shut, finishing his call while I was contemplating my best option for murder. Sighing heavily, he looked at me.

“No,” I said, sitting up and holding out a warning hand. “Oh no, you just got here.”

“She’s my wife,” he reminded me lightly.

“I don’t fucking care. She doesn’t love you; she loves to control you.”

Jonas shrugged and looked over my shoulder at the picture on my nightstand. “I know, but I can’t walk away from her. She’s my wife and while we don’t always get along, I do love her.”

Yeah, way to freaking remind me, thanks J. “I know, I know. I just wish…” I shut my mouth before I could tell him what I was really thinking.

He leaned over me, brushing my hair from my face. His deep green eyes penetrated down to my soul. “What do you wish, tell me.”

I bit my lip. I wish you were mine. “I wish she treated you better, that’s all.”

He frowned and sat up, taking those eyes with him. “We’ve talked about this and I thought we agreed not to bring it up any more.”

It was my turn to sigh. Would he rather I’d told him the truth of what I’d been thinking? No, because the last time I told him I wanted him here, with me, and that he should leave her once and for all, he’d stormed out and not returned for three weeks. He’d only come back last week and I wasn’t going to risk losing him like that again. Not now. “No, Jo, and you’re right. I’m sorry.” I’m sorry that I can’t tell you the truth. “So, what’s the story this time?”

He frowned at me, but let it go. “I don’t know, she won’t tell me. She’s upset about something.” And suddenly, it hits him. I can see the light flicker behind those emerald beauties. “You wanted to talk to me about something too, that’s why I came here, wasn’t it?”

It was. I’d called him for the first time since our relationship began two years, three months and four days ago. Every day before today, I sat and I waited for him to call. Or better yet, just show up on my door step. Those were always the unforgettable nights. I shrugged, praying he didn’t see the fear and sadness in my own blue eyes. “It can wait, Jonas, I can see you’re anxious to go.”

He reached forward and touched his fingertips to my cheek. “Are you sure?”

I nodded; I so wasn’t able to speak at that moment. I’m not psychic, but I knew at that moment that whatever it was she wanted to tell him would change all three of us irrevocably. And I had a horrifying belief that I was going to lose him forever.

“Okay, but if you change your mind…” He stood and pulled his jeans on, tugging them up over his fine backside.

I’ll scream your name out to the emptiness of this house. “I won’t call you; I never do.”

“But you did, and that worries me. Are you sure you’re okay?”

I plastered the best fake smile I could find onto my face. “I’ll be fine. Go before she calls again.”

Okay, maybe I am psychic because, no sooner than the words left my mouth, his phone started ringing again. Sighing, he grabbed his ball cap, slapped it on his head, and answered it. I could tell by the look on his face that it was her again. I shook my head and frowned. He frowned back and blew me a kiss as he walked out my bedroom door.

Damn her anyway.

No comments: