Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Code Red: The First Mission ~ Epilogue

Mika's Note: Well, this is it.  Or is it?  This epilogue was written about the time I wrote chapter 2 or so.  Got a writing challenge to write a short story or poem based on the phrase 'a plate of sunshine'.  And well, inspiration struck.  I never had any idea I could write the end before I wrote the middle, but there you have it.  Thank you again, Genta.  :)  I owe you a lot ya know?  Hope you've enjoyed the ride so far. 

“I thought at first that having you around was going to be a trial,” he smiled at his brunette beauty. “And then I met you and knew you were going to be trouble from the get-go.” His smile widened. “I was right on that one.”

Ali stuck her tongue out at Blake, and grinned. “That’s a no-brainer, Cowboy.”

“Maybe.” He shook his head and looked back into her blue eyes. “But, it’s been worth it. I’m thankful to have met you. I wish you didn’t have to leave me.”

There was a knock on the door followed by a muffled, “Hurry the hell up, would ya?”

Ali laughed at Bryan’s impatience. “I don’t know if it’s just jealousy or if he really is that eager to get going!”

“I’d vote for the jealousy. He knows you’re mine now.” He ran his hand down the side of her face. “Or, at least I hope you are.”

Ali leaned in and kissed his cheek. “I can be anything you want me to be… or need me to be. All you have to do is ask.”

Letting out a breath he didn’t realize he was even holding, Blake drew her into his arms and held her close. Her head fit perfectly beneath his chin, just one more sign they were meant for each other. At 6’ 5”, he hadn’t met too many girls that he could hold like this and it felt so good to be able to do it now. He didn’t want to let go, ever.

The pounding at the door came again.

“I think that’s my two-minute warning, Cowboy.”

He flashed her that goofy grin, the one that won her over the first day they met. “Well, then I guess we’d better make the best of those two minutes, don’t you?”

In reply, she lifted her head and pressed her lips against his. He pulled her even closer than before and returned the kiss, happily. They stayed together, holding on, until Bryan’s impatience led him to kick the door finally.

“Could you give a girl a freakin’ minute to say good-bye you stupid leatherneck?” she screamed at the closed door. “Jeeze Louise, I swear I’m gonna smack you in about two seconds!”

Blake lost the fight to keep a straight face. Laughing, he pulled her back to him for one last kiss. “You’re just a little plate of sunshine, aren’t you?”

“What can I say? I try.” Blowing him a kiss, she left the hotel room, leaving him alone and with the promise of a time to come. Soon.

3 comments:

Robin Snodgrass said...

You'd never know that this was written before that last chapter. It's perfet and I can't wait for the next episode in their romance!!

John Dovey said...

Great story. I love your writing.

Shawn said...

AWESOME! Can't wait to go read the next ones.