Friday, August 22, 2008

Code Red: The First Mission: Chapter 5

Mika's Note: Not a lot to say here except that it was originally titled On a Good Day... and the last line will tell you why.  LOL

“Excuse us for a moment, if you will, Mr. Matson,” Albert grabbed Ali by the arm and glared at her. “I need to speak with my associate and get debriefed. Bazooka will let you in on our immediate concerns and interests.”

Blake nodded absently, wondering if there was more to the friendship than either said. Realizing the other soldier was talking to him, he reluctantly tore his eyes from Ali and turned his gaze on the one they called Bazooka.

~*~

“What the fuck do you think you were doing?” he demanded in a strangled voice, trying very hard not to yell.

“Um, trying to get laid, what did it look like?

“Ali, I love you and all…”

“But?”

“But, what would you have done if it had been Bryan instead of ‘Zook and I at the door?”

“Given him a broken nose to go with that black eye?” she suggested.

“You are incorrigible.”

“No, just lonely. That’s all.”

Albie sighed and pulled her into a hug. “I’m sorry. This life sucks but it’s all we’ve got.” She nodded into his shoulder. “Well, you’ve still got me.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” she mumbled. “And you’re staying here with my stud while I’m being shipped who knows where.”

“Las Vegas.”

She looked up. “Really?”

“Yup. There’s a good chance we might meet back up again.” He returned her smile and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. “So, is he really so hot that you’d risk it all to be with him for one night?”

“It’s not the hot factor, although that’s through the roof…”

“So? You’ve been assigned to watch men just as good-looking and never crossed the line like this before. So why now? What is it about this one man that would make you put your career on the line?”

Ali shrugged, knowing the real answer sounded even more stupid than she felt at the moment. “He’s just a really nice guy, Albie. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“Holy shit!” he stage whispered. “You’re in loooove.” Ali rolled her eyes and walked down the hallway to her hotel room.

~*~

Blake watched as Ali boarded the tour bus and walked carefully past him. He caught her arm while she tried to maneuver herself into a seat behind him. “I don’t think so. I need to talk to you.”

“What’s to talk about?” knowing full well exactly what they had to talk about.

“Why are you here?” he motioned to the bus in general.

Ali sighed and looked for Albie. “They’re dragging me along with you to Tulsa and then I’ll be reassigned from there. We have a small base in the area.” Not seeing either her brother or Bubble Gum Brain in the area, she took Blake’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “I’m really sorry…”

He put a finger to her lips. “Shh. Don’t apologize. I knew better. I just didn’t care.”

She sighed. “Me either.” Then, quietly, “I don’t want to be reassigned.” Ali laid her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. “Wake me when it’s over,” she mumbled.

“Okay, now you’re just being silly,” she heard as she was dragged out of her seat. “Go. Now. Back of the bus, baby.”

Ali glared at Albie as he pushed her down the aisle. “But who…”

“’Zook. Now go.”

Realizing that it was pointless to argue, she shut her mouth and slumped into a seat.

He looked at her quizzically. “Man, that was WAY too easy.”

She just glared at him and pulled out a book. “I’m not talking to you, you mean thing.”

Laughing, he settled himself down on the bus seat. “It’s a long way to Tulsa, honey, you’d better get over yourself soon.” His smile faded a bit as he met a pair of blue eyes across the length of the bus. Albert shrugged and mouthed, “Sorry,” to the questing eyes. The eyes narrowed and then returned to the front.

~*~

“Just give me five minutes, please. How much trouble can I get into in five minutes?”

Cocking his head to the side, Albie grinned. “I see you’ve forgotten about Radney Dee. I think it only took him three and a half.”

Ali rolled her eyes. “I was sixteen. What do you expect?”

“I’m not sure, but all I do know is you’ve learned a lot since then. Five minutes. No more.” He stalked away.

Ali turned at a knock on the door. “Come in.”

Blake poked his head in and smiled. “Your friend said you were looking for me.”

It’d be just like him to start my five minutes from that moment too, she thought. Taking his hand, she smiled. “Yeah, Al was generous enough to give us five minutes before I have to report in.”

Flashing an evil grin, Blake commented, “Now, that’s not nearly enough time for what I had planned.” The grin faded, quickly. “Come here.”

She obeyed and fell into his arms.

“I’m going to miss you. What will I do without you?”

“Believe me, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dork won’t give you enough time to miss me.” She pulled back and looked him in the eye. “But seriously, you’ll be fine. They may be dorks, but they’re two of my very best friends and two very good officers. They’ll take good care of you.”

“I was kinda getting used to how you were taking care of me,” he murmured.

“Now you’re being a tease.”

“No, now you’re leaving.” Ali turned to see her brother in the doorway. “Besides, Stone’s here and is waiting on you to fly back to our base.” Turning to Blake he said, “So kiss her and let her get her butt in gear.”

“Yes sir!” he gave a mock salute and planted one on Ali and quickly let her go. “You get going. I don’t want to cause any more trouble.”

She sighed dejectedly as he and Alex walked out of the door. “And as you can plainly see, I’m not having a good day…” she sang to herself.