Friday, August 22, 2008

Code Red: The First Mission ~ Chapter 5 B

Mika's Note: Yeah, yet again a piece added after the fact. LOL  Originally titled Dirty Deeds (and not necessarily done dirt cheap either...)  Psst... and now you know why Bryan had a black eye the first time you met him...

“Got it. Thanks Caleb.” Bryan closed his cell phone and turned to the young blonde lounging across the hotel couch. “Miss Morgan?”

“Yeah, Bryan?” She sat up, putting her magazine aside.

“I thought you might like to know that Lieutenant Hart has been reassigned.”

“Who?”

“You remember the soldier assigned to act as Mr. Matson’s bodyguard?”

“Oh.” She remembered vividly the gorgeous woman and the way Blake had watched her every move. “Good, that makes me much happier.”

“I figured it would. It took some effort, but I got them to reassign her. Albert Rogan and David Haley, both male, are with him for the duration.”

“You did this?”

“Yeah,” he admitted awkwardly.

“Why?”

“Well, I saw how much it had upset you and well, to tell the truth, I wasn’t sure she was fit for the job.”

“But you said she was one of the best?”

“She is but…”

“But there’s history there, huh?” Leslie nodded, understanding, and thought about it for a moment. “Are you still together? Is that the problem?” Moving to the edge of her seat, she waited for his answer.

“No,” Bryan sighed. “We haven’t been together for awhile now. But, it’s hard to get used to it. We were a couple for close to three years.”

“What happened?”

He looked around, not really wanting to tell her the truth. “I guess I got a bit overbearing.” And that’s a complete understatement if I’ve ever heard one. “She, being not just a soldier, but a strong-willed independent woman, didn’t take to it very well.” He shrugged, attempting to fight off all the old demons he still harbored.

Leslie watched him closely, observing all the subtle facial changes he experienced when working through the emotions he attached to this other woman. It was clear he still cared for her, but how much? “Is she the one who gave you the black eye? The day we met?”

“Oh!” He rubbed his eye, remembering. “Yeah, she’s usually the one.” His hand dropped from his cheek and fell limply to his lap. “I was pretty lost without her at first.” Standing suddenly, he left his seat at the desk and sat on the coffee table in front of her.

“And now?” She leaned forward, placing one hand on his wrist.

He looked up and met her eager eyes. “I think… I know I’m better now.”

She squeezed his wrist, smiling up at him. “I’m glad to hear it. I hate it when a woman gets a good man so down.”

“Well,” he grinned, “I have you to thank for helping me get over her. You’ve… given me hope for a second chance.”

Leslie turned his arm over, exposing the underside of his forearm and palm. Tracing a line from the crook of his elbow to the base of his fingers, she pretended to consider his words. Unable to hide the smile, and unexplainable rush of desire, overtaking her, she concentrated on the whorls of dark hair covering his skin. When did this happen? She asked herself. When did I start being attracted to him? He’s so not my type. “Ya know, Bryan? I think I’m ready for a second chance too.” Placing her palm in his, she entwined their fingers.

“But you’re not single. Or, are you having problems with…”

Her smile stopped his ramblings. “Not yet, we aren’t, but a girl can’t be too careful, can she? Gotta always be prepared for the future.”

Bryan swallowed hard, and nodded. “Absolutely, ma’am.”

“Please,” she chided, “if we’re going to work so… closely… you’ve got to start calling me Leslie.”

“Yes ma’am, Leslie,” he grinned. “It never hurts to be prepared.

1 comment:

Robin Snodgrass said...

I do believe those 2 deserve one another. :)