Thursday, August 21, 2008

Code Red: The First Mission ~ Chapter 3 A

Mika's Note: This was originally titled Where'd It Go? and was based on a writing challenge that said: Write a short story based on the phrase 'I just couldn't remember where I left my gun after...'  Heaven help me, but I immediately thought of Ali.  Poor girl.  So, this was also added after I'd finished the first draft.  Kinda funny, and oh so Ali & Blake...  Tiny warning though: they get a bit frisky, but nothing explicit.

Carefully following her established routine, she took notice of anything that might possibly be different than it had when they’d left two hours ago, before the show had started. Not seeing anything out of place, she turned to the door and motioned Blake in. Another day down, how many left to go?

“All clear, Cowboy.”

He nodded at her, smiling. “Thanks.”

“It’s my job.” She moved to the side, allowing him to move past her. Watching as he made his way to the back of the bus, he paused long enough to tap in his code and enter his makeshift bedroom. “And you’re welcome,” she breathed as the door closed behind him.

Ali had just settled on the couch when he poked his head back out. “Aren’t you coming?”

“Should I be?” The gods only know how badly I’d like to…

He flashed her a sexy smile full of promise and wickedness in response. “I don’t know, should you?” He let the door close behind him, leaving her sitting with her thoughts.

Heaven help me, she scolded herself. I know I shouldn’t but… how can I not?

Ali stood nervously and made her way to the back of the bus. Lifting a fist, she knocked quickly. Her heart pounded as she waited for him to answer.

His blue eyes were shining with mischief when he peered out at her. “And I thought you’d just let yourself in.”

She shrugged, trying to hide the shaking of her hands. “Not my room.”

Grinning, he teased, “It could be.”

Blake took her hand and pulled her into his room. Backing her against the door, he tilted her chin up, kissing her soundly. He put both hands on her face, cradling her chin between them. The rasp of stubble against her bare skin sent shivers of excitement through her. She lifted her hands to his, placing hers over his, then allowing them to slide down to his forearms.

“You have no idea how long,” he kissed her again, stealing the gasp of pleasure from her mouth, “I’ve wanted to taste you like this.”

Ali closed her eyes, trying to calm her pounding heart and tame her racing thoughts. Pressing her hands against his chest, she pushed him back. “Blake, stop. This can’t…”

“It can, Cookie. If you let me.”

“It’s not you it’s…” He stopped her protest with his tongue. She pushed him back again, angry. “Damn you, you’re not making this any easier.”

He let her go and stepped back. “Hey, you came back here, remember?”

Yeah, but you asked me to. Ali rubbed her eyes with her fingertips. “I know. I’m sorry. My brain wasn’t working at that moment. I think your grin short-circuited it.” Or your tongue maybe.

Running his fingers through his hair, he looked at her helplessly. “What now then? I’ve already embarrassed myself by coming on to you. And you don’t want me.”

She hung her head in defeat. “You have that so wrong. It’s not that I don’t want to; it’s more that I’d rather not go to jail over disobeying a direct order.” She laughed. “You’d have to be one hell of a lover to make me wanna do that.”

“You’ll never know unless you try.” He grinned until he saw the conflict of emotion on her face. “You’d really go to jail over something so stupid?”

She nodded. “You forget that one of my superiors is a jealous ex. The other is the jealous ex’s best friend.”

“Ah. I see. So, you were ordered not to sleep with me? How rude.”

Ali couldn’t help but laugh. “I was ordered not to get involved in any manner. With any of you.”

“This is why nobody likes you. You rain on my parade.”

“Sorry, Cowboy. Forgive me for being a tease?”

“Only if you let me kiss you again.”

“Blake…”

He moved closer, tilting her face up to his again. “No one will have to know. I sure as hell won’t tell anyone.” Lightly, he pressed his lips against hers and pulled back. “Will you?”

“Nark on myself? Not a chance.” She allowed him to kiss her cheek, chin, and neck. “But if you keep biting me like that, it’s going to be obvious.”

His laugh tickled her skin. “Well then, I guess I’ll just have to bite where it won’t show.”

Please? “What about your girlfriend?”

He pulled back and looked her in the eye. “Your pal told my band she was gettin' friendly with your ex. Why should I care?”

“Because Bryan lies like a rug when it comes to women.”

“Don’t we all?” He kissed her again, wrapping an arm around her waist. “Even so, I know her. She had no problem coming on to me while I was still married. Why wouldn’t she do this too?” Blake braced his free hand against the wall. “So, now that we’ve settled that, the first thing I need to do is this.” He pulled her gun from its holster at the small of her back. Leaning sideways, he dropped it on his dresser. “Now, if I make a wrong move you’ll just deck me and not shoot me.”

Ali laughed again. He had that effect on her; it didn’t matter how dire the situation, he could always make her smile. Just the thing she needed. Relaxing against the door, she let him kiss her. Why fight it? Bryan’s been accusing me of sleeping with him since I started this assignment. Might as well make him right. Can’t possibly get into any more trouble than I’m already in…

Blake pulled her shirt from her jeans, sliding one hand up her stomach. She fell against his chest as the driver pulled out of the venue parking lot and started down the road. They jolted back against the door as the bus stopped at a red light. The sudden stop causing her gun to roll off the dresser and onto the floor.

Leaning away from him she muttered, “Just let me…”

Blake spun her around, causing her to topple onto the bed that was now behind her. “No ya don’t, Cookie. You can get it later.” He climbed onto the bed next to her.

“But…”

“Nope. Not gonna listen.”

He turned his attention to the buttons on her shirt, slowly popping each open and placing a kiss on every exposed inch of skin as he progressed. With the last button, he opened her shirt completely, exposing her tanned skin and olive green bra.

“Do you not own anything in any other color?”

“Will you be disappointed if my undies match?”

Blake cocked his head and thought about it. “I guess if I managed to make it that far, I don’t have the right, do I?”

She just shook her head, unable to dispute his logic. His fingertips brushed across the button of her pants. Deftly, he popped it open as well, tugging the zipper down as he went.

“Oh no,” she muttered, reaching for her hip.

“What did I…” his voice trailed off, seeing her reach for her phone. “Oh no is right, you are not going…”

“I have to,” she sighed, freeing her phone from its holster. “I haven’t checked in yet.” Glancing at the display, her worst fears were confirmed. “Keep your mouth shut.” Flipping her phone open, she said curtly, “Lt. Hart.”

“Took you long enough,” Bryan replied sourly. “Where are you?”

“On Mr. Matson’s bus.” She frowned at Blake who rolled his eyes at her formal manner. “We only just left the venue about ten minutes ago. The driver is taking us back to the hotel for the night; we leave early in the morning for the next show.”

Blake rolled his eyes again and made a ‘get on with it’ gesture. She grinned despite herself. It’d been too long since she’d had a man so eager to be with her. Unable to wait for her, he slid his fingers inside the waistband of her panties. Disgusted with the realization that they did match her bra, he gave them a tug and made a face.

Attempting to continue her conversation with her commanding officer, she smacked the back of his head and glared. “Yes, Bryan. I understand. No, everything is normal here.” Yeah, okay, so maybe not?

“Good. We’re in the area as well and will be meeting up with you at the hotel. We’re actually already here, waiting. Miss Morgan is anxious to see Mr. Matson as well. See you in ten.”

Ali gaped at her phone in disbelief. Smacking Blake’s hand away from her crotch, she sat up. She shoved her phone back into its holder angrily. “Stop it,” she smacked his hand again.

“Damn, that hurt,” he whined, shaking his hand. “Kiss it better?”

“I would if Bryan and your girlfriend weren’t waiting at the hotel for us.” She wiggled out from under him, hating the cool air against her feverish body.

“Crap.” He pushed himself into a sitting position and watched her frantically tuck her shirt back in. “Ali…”

“Don’t,” she begged. “Please just don’t. I knew better and just couldn’t stop myself. I’ve been alone too damn long to say no.”

His face fell at the reality of her words. He knew she’d had a bad breakup awhile back and still he’d pushed. It’s what he got for listening to his guitarist. Tim insisted she was interested and maybe she was. But what right did that give him? And blaming Tim didn’t help either. “I’m sorry.”

“For what? Trying to take my mind off my pathetic life for a few minutes? Don’t be. I should be apologizing to you for leaving you hanging.”

Blake sighed, shifting positions. “I’m definitely not hanging.”

Ali choked on her laugh. “I’m sorry,” she laughed again. “I know it’s not funny but…”

He stood and pulled her against him. “You’re right, it’s not funny.” He pressed his hips against hers, allowing her to fully feel her effect on him. “And you’re gonna pay for this later. The very next time I get you alone.” He grinned evilly at her. “And I promise, you won’t regret it.”

She let him kiss her one last time before pushing him away. “I’ll hold you to that Cowboy. Now, help me find my gun.”

Ali got on her knees and started looking. Blake swallowed hard, holding a hand out to her. “Here, go get yourself together. I’ll look for it.”

She took his hand, letting him pull her to her feet. “You sure?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Besides, watching you crawl around on the floor is not going to get it found. It’s only gonna get us caught.”

She patted his chest, grinning, “Thanks.”

The door had barely closed behind her when the bus stopped beside the hotel. The front door to the bus opened and Bryan entered. A young, bleach blonde followed close on his heels.

Praying that her face wasn’t nearly as flushed as it felt, she saluted her superior and greeted him. “Hey Bryan.”

He nodded at her and looked around. “Where is Mr. Matson?”

Ali canted her head to the door behind her. “Changing his clothes, I believe.”

“Will you let him know we’re here and ready to go inside?”

Giving him a mental eye roll, she nodded. Knocking on Blake’s door, she called out, “Mr. Matson?” She could just see him rolling his eyes again. “Miss Morgan is here as well as my team leader.”

“Lieutenant!”

She turned quickly to see Bryan moving towards her. “Yes sir?” she questioned, not knowing what could be wrong. Nothing that he can see, I don’t think…

“Where is your firearm? It’s not in its holster.

“Oh, well, you see…” she stalled.

Behind her, the door opened and Blake emerged, grinning. He held her gun up and announced, “I found it! It slid under the bed somehow.” Ali covered her face with both hands before Bryan could glare at her. Looking at the faces surrounding him, Blake’s grin slid from his face. “What? What did I say?”

Holding one hand out and keeping the other across her eyes, she begged, “Hand it over, please? I’d rather shoot myself now rather than wait for the firing squad.”

Reluctantly, he handed it over. “Okay, if you’re sure, Cookie. Just try not to splatter your brains all over my bus. Okay? I just go it washed.”

A nervous laugh bubbled up from her toes. Before long, she couldn’t quit giggling. Even knowing she was extremely close to getting into some very serious trouble, she couldn’t stop. Holstering her weapon, she sat heavily on the couch behind her and let go.

“Allyson?” Bryan asked, half afraid.

“Yeah?” she gasped, looking up.

“Is there something you need to tell us?”

“No,” she began, wiping the tears from her eyes. “No, I don’t think there is.” And not that anyone here would believe me if I told them the truth anyway.

Bryan flicked his gaze to Blake who stood calmly watching. “Are you sure?”

Blake shrugged. “Losta girls have lost their guns in my room. Seems to be a black hole or somethin’ in there.” He shrugged again and pushed past Bryan and Leslie and exited the bus.

Leslie crossed her arms angrily, trying to decipher the reality of what had gone on. Deciding she ought to start with the source, she turned and stormed off the bus, searching for Blake, leaving Ali alone with Bryan.

Bryan cleared his throat. Ali’s giggles had started to subside finally. “So?”

“So what?”

“So, are you going to tell me how your gun wound up under his bed?”

“Do I have a choice?” she questioned rhetorically. “It slid off the dresser when the driver stopped at a red light.”

“And why was it on his dresser and not on your person?”

Ali shrugged, wondering how much trouble a little white lie could get her into. “He was curious what I was carrying. Seeing as he has quite the gun fetish, I gave it to him. He looked it over, and sat it down. The bus stopped, my gun went flying. He thought it more prudent for him to be the one crawling around on the floor of his bedroom looking for it rather than me.”

She sat quietly, as close to being at attention as she could get in her position. Bryan studied her, noticing she met his gaze evenly, not flinching or reacting in any guilty manner. He knew her well enough to know she wouldn’t sleep with just anyone, especially a man with a girlfriend, but he was still undecided on how she felt about this particular man. “All right. I’m not so sure I believe you but I don’t have any reason not to. Get out and get inside.”

Standing quickly, she saluted and hustled out of the bus. Winking at Blake as she jogged by, she silently gave thanks. Here’s to the government for teaching me how to be such a skilled liar.

1 comment:

Robin Snodgrass said...

LMBO! Good use of the gun as a focus. Loved it but felt so bad for Ali. Can't wait for Leslie to get the old heave ho! (pun intended)