Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Code Red: The First Mission ~ Chapter 2 Interlude 2

Mika's Note: This was added later on, after I'd finished the first draft of the story.  I felt that Ali & Blake needed a bit more time to develop their relationship and this is still one of my favorite pieces I've written about them.  Makes me laugh every time I read it.  Blake is such a dork.  Was originally titled Checking In.  Maybe a bit of bad language and lots and lots of flirting. LOL

Ali watched Blake and then his band file onto their respective tour busses. After double-checking to make sure everyone was on board, she climbed in and headed towards the back of Blake’s bus, stopping long enough to grab her laptop from the storage compartment. Deciding on her seat, she sat, pulled out the laptop, set it on the pullout table, and plugged in her headset.

Satellites were apparently good for more than just outer space observations and TV. Amazingly enough, her laptop was designed to connect to the Internet via satellite, among other things. Keying in her security code, checking to make sure the web cam was turned on and functioning, she logged into HQ’s server and waited. Waited for someone to deign her important enough to answer.

While she waited, Blake had finally noticed she wasn’t beside him, in her usual spot. Leaving his seat, he came to the back of the bus and squished himself in beside her. “Whatcha doin’?” he asked, looking over her shoulder at the empty screen.

Of course, Caleb took that opportunity to acknowledge her. “Allyson!” he began cheerfully. Upon noticing Blake peering over her shoulder, he continued, “What’s he doing there?”

“Hey,” Blake announced, pointing at the screen, “that’s pretty cool.”

Ali rolled her eyes at the both of them. “Yeah, Blake, makes things easier to a degree,” she told him. “Especially regarding communications.” To Caleb, she said, “He was just being nosy, wanting to know what I was doing.”

Blake tucked his chin against her shoulder and watched Caleb on the screen. “Can he see me?”

“Uh, yeah.” She pointed to the miniscule web cam embedded in the top of her monitor. “That’s a camera there.”

“Is he an idiot?” Caleb asked.

“Nooo, he just can’t hear you, you dumb…”

“That’s quite enough you two!” boomed another familiar voice.

“Sorry, General Stone, sir. I’m getting bombarded from both sides here.” She looked from the screen to the vulture hanging over her shoulder, breathing down the front of her shirt. Clearing her throat, she continued. “Things are going well on this end. No reports of anything out of the ordinary.” Blake maneuvered his arm behind her back, settling it along her waist. His hand curved around her hip and rested lightly across the top of her thigh. His body pressed against the length of hers; his face snuggled up to her cheek. Ali covered the mouthpiece briefly and asked him, “Making yourself comfortable, Cowboy?”

“Excuse me?” Caleb asked, annoyed. “Something you’d like to share with us, Lieutenant?”

Praying she wasn’t bright red, she shook her head. “No, nothing sir.” She flicked her eyes back towards Blake, hoping he’d get the hint. When he didn’t, she decided to give in and revel in the feel of his body against hers, inhaling the woodsy sent of his skin, and enjoy it while it lasted. She leaned back into him and continued with her report. “Like I was saying, situation normal here. No sign of any kind of Brotherhood activity. I will remain on the lookout as,” she stifled squeak as he pressed himself closer to her, hand slipping between her thighs “always.”

“Are you okay, Lieutenant?”

“Yes, sir, General Stone. Bumpy roads out here in the sticks.” She elbowed Blake as inconspicuously as she could. “Our next stop is as scheduled. We left on time and appear to be making good progress so far. We’ll stop for lunch in about four hours or so, I believe.” Blake nodded against her shoulder in confirmation. “See?” she waved her hand at the growth on her back, “he agrees. Anything else?”

“Yes,” Caleb spat, “you do remember that you’re on a mission?”

“Me? Yeah, of course. Why do you ask?” Please God; don’t let him bust me in front of Blake. All I was doing was my job, I swear. You were watching, weren’t you?

“Gee, Ali, I can’t imagine why I’d be concerned.”

She could feel the sarcasm in the words. “Had you not taken so long to respond to my call, you’d know that he sat down here after I’d made the initial call.”

“I can vouch for that,” Shana piped up, grinning in the background. “I was watching.”

“So, why didn’t you answer the call then?” Stone demanded, turning to face her.

“Caleb restricted access. I can only answer calls when I’m the lead officer.”

“You will change that, immediately. Understand?” Caleb nodded. “Good, we’re too busy for this garbage.” He shook his head, wishing for a shot of whiskey right then. “Alright then, keep on top of things and don’t let yourself get… distracted, okay?”

Ali nodded and attempted a salute. ”Yes, sirs. Will do. Lt. Hart, over and out.” She had to hide a grin; as she terminated the connection, she could see Shana giving her a double thumbs-up.

“YOU,” she said, turning her head to face Blake, “are going to get me court-marshaled with stunts like that!”

“Sorry, Cookie, couldn’t help myself. With you sitting here I had to be as close to you as I could get,” he whispered in her ear. Squeezing her thigh, he added, “Besides, the view was way too good to pass up.” Pressing his lips against her neck in a quick, but promising kiss, he untangled himself from her body and moved back to his seat. “Are ya gonna join me, like usual?” He motioned towards where he’d been sitting.

“Yeah, I just need to do something first, okay?” Like change my panties.

He nodded and went back to his seat. “I’ll get the cards,” he called back over his shoulder, “you bring the booze.”

Opening up her e-mail client, she sent a desperate note to the only person who’d understand.

Shana:

HELP ME! I think I’m drowning…

Ali

Shana, still listening to Stone and Caleb arguing over the communications restrictions as well as over Ali’s predicament, grinned at the e-mail. Sending her reply, she went back to monitoring the bickering.

Ali looked down at the response with an open mouth.

Honey:

Why should I help you? Looks like you knew what you were doing to me!

(and not a protest in sight!)

Red

Oh gods, she was in trouble now…

1 comment:

Robin Snodgrass said...

I like this. The chemistry between Ali and Blake is awesome!